Aug 3, 2015

MV Review | Cheetah - My Number


I wouldn't say that I was disappointed, I didn't have expectations to begin with and I'm not a fan of her. Still, I know she's a good rapper as I've watched Unpretty Rapstar.

What do I think of this MV?

Too Kpop for my taste. Flashy colors, pink, yellow, no story. The only good point was the Pinky Cheeks dancers. Oh, that and the "men use half naked women as props, lemme do the same but with men on my promotional pic". That's how I understood it (I kinda like this tongue-in-cheek thing) though I also get a feeling of usng drags as props as in a way to make a buzz and get more views...
The song is "meh", I'm not fond of the saxophone and it's not catchy as a whole, no hook. The lyrics are basic. Cheetah's flow was kinda boring too, not much energy in it.

It's funny how Cheetah's fans reacted to this...they're all like "But why didn't she show all she can do? Why does this MV look Kpop and not Hip Hop or badass? She can do better!"

Lol. I get you folks. But Kpop doesn't give a shit about badass female rappers. If so you would have already seen solo badass female rappers on the mainstream scene (which means Kpop) and on the charts. But that's not the case, right? No, CL is NOT badass. She SAYS she is. Nuance.
Kpop has a mold and it wants all of its artists to fit in with a certain image, a certain sound. It's all about toning down the strong ones so that they can still be palatable to the mainstream audience, and hyping up the weak ones so that they look decent and kind of talented.

No surprise here. Cheetah's no exception to Kpop's mold. Though I must say I was a little bit surprised  that she decided to start off with pop instead of Hip Hop. Usually Hip Hop artists do it the other way....like a natural "evolution" as an artist (which means getting a bigger fanbase). But the thing is, why would she be seen as an Hip Hop artist? Because she can be kinda badass in reality TV show Unpretty Rapstar? As a matter of fact, AOA's Jimin did too. And she's an idol, she's not Hip Hop.
So, unless Cheetah releases a full Hip Hop album, I won't consider her a Hip Hop rapper. She'll just be a Kpop rapper in my opinion. Which is fine. I'm not talking about talent here. But there's a difference and we shouldn't mix the 2. Rapping doesn't equate Hip Hop. Period.
And to those who are already calling her "Queen" and "at Yoon Mi Rae's level"...folks, get real. She has released like ONE Kpop song, where's her album? Just wait for her to show consistency before snatching Tasha's crown.

No comments:

Post a Comment