Jul 26, 2013

Part II - Korean R&B male singers: the dancer kind

This is the 2nd part of my series "My selection of Korean RnB singers".

Part II - The dancer/singer kind: Bi Rain | Jay Park | Se7en

Bi Rain
This grown man is just...WOW. Let me explain, though I'm pretty sure that if you're reading this, you already know who he is. Rain is probably the first solo singer who danced that well with that swag. No, wait, JYP was, JYP trained him as well I think. Rain's vocals are not awesome and strong but he has a "suave"/sensual thing with his husky voice and sounds soulful.

Here's one of his first for you, that choreography made me go O_O back in 2006, when I found out about Korean music. Please watch it in HD.




Now he's not only a good singer and dancer, he's also an actor, he played in Korean dramas and in American movies. After going to the military for 2 years (Korean military service) he's now free and we're waiting for new material from him. Meanwhile, let's listen to his old stuff, the following video (a ballad song) shows his vocal skills.



Do you remember his feat with Omarion? Really good collaboration, Rain's vocals on the 2nd verse were refreshing and strong, and I like the beat of the song.
***

Jay Park, ex-member of idol group 2PM. After a scandal he had to leave the group, and decided to go back the US, his home, as he's Korean-American. 2 years after he goes back to Korea to pursue a successful solo career.
Jay Park (Park Jae-Beom 박재범)
He can sing, rap and dance really well..
His sound is popular, a mix of RnB, hip hop and pop. His English is perfect as it is his first language and his Korean sounds fluent to me, though I don't speak this language. He also has an acting career in Korea.
He's the youngest of the artists I'm introducing here, he's 23 or so.



Here's another MV "Joah", a nice pop track.
One more very good track, "Star" (RnB sound)

***

And...Se7en!!
I barely listened to his music I must say, but he is VERY famous in Korea, girls just love him. He's as popular as Rain and Jay Park.I like his voice, his voice is sweet and really good for pop and RnB. The more I dig into his music, the more I discover his voice. He uses his vocal range smartly. Don't be fooled by his looks, he's already 28 :)

Se7en 세븐



Here's al oldie song for you.

He also did a good RnB song with an American rapper, Lil' Kim, yup! Here's the MV:
His English is quite on point, really nice track.

I don't comment on his dancing skills because I haven't been following him but Rain is the best, Jay Park might be somewhere in the middle.
Se7en and Rain both have a Japanese career as well.
***
Honorable mention: Wheesung. I already mentionned him in my previous post but he's also a good dancer. He doesn't dance much though, it's a pity. He originally started as a dancer, but somehow (I forgot the story lol) he became a singer and songwriter.
Here's one of his popular songs "Insomnia", given by Craig David.

No comments:

Post a Comment